You rely on your device to get your work done. When your device is slow, your productivity level is affected. You have deadlines looming and risk going over budget if you can’t get the work done in a timely manner. But right now, all you can seem to do is stare at the screen, waiting for a file to load.
Working with a computer that is painstakingly slow is frustrating. Loading files seems to take forever. You’re constantly getting messages about your programs being unresponsive. You can’t afford to wait; you have work to get done.
While it might seem that the answer to a slow device is getting a new one, the device itself might not be the problem. You could have a problem with your network. Therefore, it is important to pinpoint what is slowing you down – a specific device or the network.
When the mobile phone or tablet is slow
- Simply restart your iPhone or Android phone.
- Remove apps you no longer use.
- Update software.
However, if these don’t work, the cause for slow processing can be very difficult to determine.
- Find a new app. Unfortunately, some apps can really slow down your mobile devices. This is often a problem when developers don’t update their apps to be compliant with the latest iOS and Android versions. As iOS and Android evolves, minor and major changes to the OS effect how apps run. And while Apple and Google regularly notify developers with the latest changes, not all developers will comply. Therefore, you either have to deal with it slowing your phone down or find an alternative.
When the desktop is slow
- Update software. This is one of the best ways to keep your devices operating efficiently.
- Run anti-malware, anti-spyware, and anti-virus programs. Sometimes the only way to tell that you have an infected computer is that it is slowing you down.
When the network is slow
- Verify you have a strong connection and that the bandwidth is appropriate for what you need.
- Verify your computer is free of malware, spyware, and viruses.
- Perform updates to your operating system and software.
- Look for an improperly configured network or network port.
- Replacing network hardware can increase speeds 10x.
These are only a few examples of the problems that are slowing down your device. Consistent slowness in the network is difficult to determine. There could be more than one problem occurring at the same time.
Boost IT can help you fix slow performance. We’ll start by looking at a few likely suspects like those above and investigate more complex problems. Once your systems are running optimally, we’ll continue to monitor them to maintain peak performance. To learn more, contact us at 404-865-1289.